List: National Register of Historic Places

11 properties

  • An amazingly dense complex of mill structures dating from the mid-1800s and in use for over 100 years before succumbing to two large fires in the midst of plans to redevelop

    #UsedToBeThere,#ArchiveRI | College Hill | Built: 1840–1873 | Demolition: 1971 | Decade: 1840-1849
    Added to NRHP: December 3, 1969 | NRHP Reference Number: 709380013

  • Built circa 1915, these concrete coal storage towers were demolished in late 2002 by oversight — a permit was granted despite their protection by inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.

    #UsedToBeThere | Silver Lake | Built: 1915 | Demolition: 2002 | Decade: 1890-1899

  • Closed in 1981, this William R. Walker and Son-designed church was vacant for over 20 years before neglect contributed to its demise.

    #UsedToBeThere | South Providence | Built: 1888 | Demolition: 2006 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: June 3, 1976 | NRHP Reference Number: 76000043

  • During this park’s 90-year run, it entertained millions of New Englanders as well as people from all over the world.

    #ArchiveRI,#UsedToBeThere | East Providence, RI | Built: 1886 | Demolition: 1979 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: April 3, 1976 | NRHP Reference Number: 76000045

  • This historic wooden structure over the Providence River withstood the Hurricane of 1938 but not a lighting strike on January 12, 2011

    #UsedToBeThere | Cranston, RI | Built: 1908 | Demolition: 2011 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: December 3, 1969 | NRHP Reference Number: 89000072

  • A sprawling complex and a leading designer of silver goods for 100 years or more. Still in business (not in RI) as part of the Lenox Corporation.

    #ArchiveRI,#UsedToBeThere | South Providence | Built: 1890 | Demolition: 1998 | Decade: 1890-1899
    Added to NRHP: December 3, 1969 | NRHP Reference Number: Eligible, not listed

  • A long fight over the demolition of a former neighborhood school — and a contributing structure to the Broadway-Armory Historic District.

    #UsedToBeThere | West Side | Built: 1901 | Demolition: 2012 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: December 3, 1969 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047

  • Vacant since 1987, this building stood on the West Side across from Central High School for over 20 years before being completely razed to the ground.

    #UsedToBeThere | West Side | Built: 1906 | Demolition: 2008 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: March 4, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 04000197

  • Parcel 14: This Neo—Classical Revival structure stood unfinished for 80 years before finally getting a new life as a hotel in 2004.

    #NotInRuins | Smith Hill | Built: 1926 | Redeveloped: 2004 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: October 2, 1993 | NRHP Reference Number: 93001181

  • This fine example of roadside architecture is slowly decaying along Route 146 in North Smithfield

    #UrbanDecay | North Smithfield, RI | Built: 1931 | Decade: 1930-1939
    Added to NRHP: December 3, 1969 | NRHP Reference Number: HABS RI-384

  • A long, low slung industrial building west of the highway and in the shadow of the Providence Place Mall. Neglect over ten years as well as some nefarious local dealings took the building down.

    #UsedToBeThere | Smith Hill | Built: 1929 | Demolition: 2008 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: June 5, 2005 | NRHP Reference Number: 05000583