List: Provisions Warehouse Historic District (HABS RI-408)

5 properties

The Provisions Warehouse Historic District is comprised of 11 masonry buildings on Kinsley and Harris Avenues and Terminal Way constructed between 1894 and 1947. Most of the buildings are associated with the local food storage, processing, and distribution industries. Among the notable buildings were the Merchants Cold Storage Warehouse (1894), the Providence Fruit and Produce Building (1929), M.T. Marcello Freezing and Storage Warehouse Co. (1947), Armour & Company (l943), Brownell & Field Co. (1907), and several other provisions companies. All of the major warehouses were connected via a spur line to the New York, New Haven, & Hartford Railroad. A series of underground tunnels connected Merchant’s and neighboring distributors who depended on the warehouse for their cold storage.