List: PPS/AIA Industrial Commercial Buildings Survey

69 properties

This list of 207 properties was compiled in 2001–2002 as a joint survey between the Providence Preservation Society and the American Institute of Architects, RI Chapter. The list was hosted with ProvPlan for several years but the website is now defunct. Google spreadsheet version of the list.

  • A large mill built in stages with an iconic square, open-top stair tower visible from Interstate 95.

    East Side | Built: 1830 et seq. | Redeveloped: 2019–2023 | Decade: 1830-1839

  • A large, dense, castle-like former brewery turned warehouse space on the edge of Olneyville and Federal Hill

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1892 | Decade: 1890-1899
    Added to NRHP: May, 2016 | NRHP Reference Number: 16000395 (individual)

  • A collection of six brick buildings with a complicated history, series of owners, and name

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1885, 1908–1926 | Redeveloped: 2003–2008, 2012 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: August 2005 | NRHP Reference Number: 05000917 (individual)

  • A large, long, four-story 100 plus year old mill on the corner of Harris and Atwells is revived as apartments and commercial space

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1903-1908, 1969 | Redeveloped: 2021-2022 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • A long-standing and intact example of mill architecture from the late 1800s, available as studio and commercial space

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1871–1899 | Decade: 1870-1879

  • An 1860s gasometer with unheroic uses for a century before being reborn as small business and community space

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1863 | Redeveloped: 2004, 2015 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • A series of late 19th and early 20th century mill buildings converted to residential during the boom of the mid-2000s

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1895–1920 | Redeveloped: 2005-2007 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: October 18, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 04000809

  • Two massive five-story, brick, pier-and-spandrel warehouses along the waterfront once used for storing cargo. Vacant for 15+ years before demolition from 2013-2015.

    South Providence | Built: 1913 | Demolition: 2013 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • A simple Art Deco commercial building whose fate is uncertain now that its long-term tenant has moved out

    East Side | Built: ca. 1930 | Decade: 1930-1939

  • An aging complex of four buildings, three more than 150 years old, that once housed the largest stove manufacturer in New England

    Fox Point/India Point | Built: 1849 and later | Decade: 1840-1849

  • Slow and steady wins this race — vacated in 1964, some of the buildings were in use as early as 1988, but only 30 years later has the entire complex been redeveloped

    Smith Hill | Built: 1872–1941 | Redeveloped: 1986–2017 | Decade: 1870-1879
    Added to NRHP: April 18, 2003 | NRHP Reference Number: 03000081 (individual)

  • A part of the Provisions District met the wrecking ball in 2011. Owner of this and nearby buildings, The Providence Journal Company, used deferred maintenance as an excuse.

    Smith Hill | Built: 1895-1908 | Demolition: 2011 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • A bricked-in and enclosed one-story building along Kinsley Avenue exploded in a chemical fire that leveled it and threw conder blocks across the street

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: before 1899 | Demolition: 2015 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • A slowly built-up set of factory buildings that decayed for more than a decade before being razed for… a flower farm

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: before 1908 | Demolition: 2023 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • Two indistinct one-story infill buildings flanked by 100+ year old two-story mill buildings that manufactured fire safety equipment

    West Side | Never Built | Built: 1905 | Redeveloped: 2014-2015 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • One of the oldest industrial buildings in the state with a rich history that continues to this day

    College Hill | Built: 1793 et. seq., 1847 | Decade: before 1799

  • This former hotel has sat vacant and underused for 20 years or more and only recently is being renovated

    West Side | Built: 1914 | Redeveloped: 2020–2023 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • A worsted yarn mill under the same ownership for 60 to 80 years has been home to small businesses and a plastics company for at least the last 20

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: ca. 1896 | Decade: 1890-1899

  • A small stature mill building in a residential neighborhood with many uses over the years is now residential

    West Side | Built: 1875 | Redeveloped: 2006-2007 | Decade: 1870–1879
    Added to NRHP: September 1978 | NRHP Reference Number: 78000005 (contributing)

  • A low slung jewelry manufacturing building on the edge of the Jewelry District is now the main Student Services Center for Johnson & Wales University

    Jewelry District | Built: 1920 | Redeveloped: 2007–2009 | Decade: 1920-1929

  • A large 250,000 sf brick mill complex used for rubber manufacture over almost 100 years, now divided into office and retail space

    Jewelry District | Built: 1884—1926 | Redeveloped: Early 1980s | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: June 1980 | NRHP Reference Number: 80000093 (individual)

  • A late ninteenth century dye house of the larger Weybosset Mills which has lately become a boutique hotel

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1880–1890 | Redeveloped: 2007, 2015, 2020 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: January 2008 | NRHP Reference Number: 07001381 (individual)

  • An over 180-year-old mill structure with the Woonasquatucket river at its back and a former office building fronting Manton Avenue

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1835 | Decade: 1830-1839
    Added to NRHP: June 18, 1979 | NRHP Reference Number: 79000055

  • A small, unassuming but nicely detailed brick firehouse from the mid-19th century on Providence’s West Side

    West Side | Built: 1856 | Decade: 1850-1859
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • A striking 3-story mansard former office building for a larger manufacturing complex of woven goods turned into various small office spaces

    Charles | Built: 1869 | Redeveloped: early 1980s | Decade: 1860-1869
    Added to NRHP: 1970 | NRHP Reference Number: 709380013 (contributing)

  • A handsome, symmetrical façade, Greek-revival inspired mid-19th-century mill building that seems to have always been well cared for

    Fox Point/India Point | Built: 1869 | Redeveloped: 1960s | Decade: 1860-1869

  • The earliest steel-framed buildings in the city, constructed by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of Connecticut

    Fox Point/India Point | Built: 1893 | Demolition: 2012 | Decade: 1890-1899

  • A quietly operational General Electric light bulb plant for over 70 years until a swift demolition after 20 years of neglect

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1916–1918 | Demolition: 2015 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • An unassuming former ice cream factory on a busy road through a residential neighborhood

    Silver Lake | Built: 1915 | Redeveloped: 2010-2011 | Decade: 1910-1919
    Added to NRHP: August 2008 | NRHP Reference Number: 08000788 (individual)

  • Two buildings, one still extant and the other recently demolished, in a fruit and produce warehouse portion of Valley Street

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1974 & 1927 | Demolition: 2021 | Decade: 1920-1929

  • A mid-sized 4-story mill of red brick and stucco in the middle of a residential neighborhood became apartments in 2009

    West Side | Built: 1910 | Redeveloped: 2008-2009 | Decade: 1910-1919
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • A long fight over the demolition of a former neighborhood school — and a contributing structure to the Broadway-Armory Historic District.

    West Side | Built: 1901 | Demolition: 2012 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • A two-story brick L-shaped mill along Eddy Street south of the corner of Eddy and Public Streets. In decay for 10 years or more before being razed in 2005.

    South Providence | Built: ca. 1908 | Demolition: 2005 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • A forgotten building on the industrial edge of the north side may be getting a new life

    Charles | Built: 1908 to 1918 | Redeveloped: 2021 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • A narrow but deep building had its modern refacing removed to reveal an original set of brickwork ornamentation. Now being used as office space

    West Side | Built: circa 1930 | Redeveloped: circa 2018 | Decade: 1930-1939

  • This handsome trapezoidal mill building with chamfered corner in the Jewelry District was converted to lofts in 2004.

    Jewelry District | Built: circa 1922-23 | Redeveloped: 2004 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • A cute, manageable, three-story mill building on the outskirts of Smith Hill surrounded by car yards

    Smith Hill | Built: between 1908–1919 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • This three-story former lumber yard and wood working business has over a hundred years of history

    West Side | Built: circa 1890 | Redeveloped: 2005-2006 | Decade: 1890-1899

  • This former jewelry manufacturing building was converted to office use in the late 1970s and is now the Brown Medical School

    Jewelry District | Built: 1928 | Redeveloped: 2010–2011 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • A neglected little brick Greek-revival building vacant and boarded up since a fire in the 1990s succumbed to extensive roof damage in 2020

    West Side | Built: 1892 | Demolition: 2020 | Decade: 1890-1899

  • While only a small 2,600 sf portion of the original complex remains, it’s great that it was saved

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: circa 1908-1910 | Demolition: 2011 (partial) | Redeveloped: 2011-2012 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • One of the first artist-led redevelopment projects post-Eagle Square, these 21 units have remained in artist’s hands, some with afforability restrictions

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1866 | Redeveloped: 2002-2006 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • A large mill complex of 13 buildings on 2 acres was converted to apartments and commercial space in 2005

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1881–1930 | Redeveloped: 2003-2005 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: July 11, 2003 | NRHP Reference Number: 03000656 (individual)

  • A large mill complex on the West Side of Providence turns into residential lofts at the beginning of the boom

    West Side | Built: 1865 | Redeveloped: 2004–2005 | Decade: 1860-1869
    Added to NRHP: January 1980 | NRHP Reference Number: 80000001 (individual)

  • A 19th century former volunteer firehouse turned into commercial space on a busy urban corner

    East Side | Built: 1866 | Redeveloped: 1950s? | Decade: 1860-1869
    Added to NRHP: February 1990 | NRHP Reference Number: 90000104 (contributing)

  • A late-nineteeth-century warehouse building with thick walls, strong floors, and details reminiscent of an armory building

    West Side | Built: 1896–1900 | Decade: 1890-1899
    Added to NRHP: January 1980 | NRHP Reference Number: 80000099 (individual)

  • A group of turn-of-the-century mills get converted into affordable residential units and commercial/office space

    South Providence | Built: 1887–1892 | Redeveloped: 2004-2005 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: January 30, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 03001521 (individual)

  • A fire-damaged former church used for many years as a furniture storage facility recently turned into 15 residential units

    West Side | Built: 1873 | Redeveloped: 2016-2017 | Decade: 1870-1879
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • A newer complex of brick structures built up and around an almost 200-year old stone mill

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1835; ca 1899 | Decade: 1830-1839

  • Once the center of an ambitious waterfront redevelopment project, the building is now underutilized

    South Providence | Built: 1899–1900 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: June 2007 | NRHP Reference Number: 07000589 (individual)

  • A 1980s conversion from industrial to residential condominiums by the same developer of the Davol Rubber Company

    Fox Point/India Point | Built: 1845, 1864, 1893 | Redeveloped: 1984–1986 | Decade: 1840-1849
    Added to NRHP: November 10, 1970 | NRHP Reference Number: 70000019 (contributing)

  • A long industrial mill along the Atwells Avenue off ramp was home to the C.J. Fox company for 60 years before conversion to office space

    Federal Hill | Built: 1868, 1889–1908 | Redeveloped: 2013-2014 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • A sprawling pre-Civil-War-era complex with a proud history of metal manufacturing of many kinds, including armaments

    Providence, RI | Built: 1853–1921 | Redeveloped: 2004-2005 | Decade: 1850-1859
    Added to NRHP: August 4, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 04000808 (individual)

  • This modestly small but ornate brick building became the home to the Providence Revolving Fund

    West Side | Built: 1925 | Redeveloped: 2007 | Decade: 1920-1929

  • One of the oldest mill structures in Olneyville, this building housed a collection of 60 artists who were forced out in 2004

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1880, 1921 | Decade: 1880-1849
    Added to NRHP: January 2008 | NRHP Reference Number: 07001381 (individual)

  • A massive 58,000 sf former electricity generating station went through three different redevelopment projects over 20 years before finally being completed

    Jewelry District | Built: 1912–1925 | Redeveloped: 2003, 2008, 2015–2019 | Decade: 1910-1919
    Added to NRHP: June 30, 2006 | NRHP Reference Number: 06000553 (individual)

  • A narrow 3-story building built as infill when rail lines were removed in the Provisions Warehouse District. Most recently a set of nightclubs.

    Smith Hill | Built: 1937 | Decade: 1930-1939

  • A small flatiron-style 19th century mill building right on the bank of the Moshassuck River in a formerly dense industrial area

    Charles | Built: 1871–1876 | Decade: 1870-1879
    Added to NRHP: 1970 | NRHP Reference Number: 709380013 (contributing)

  • A mid-19th century small scale commercial brick mill has been a home to various businesses and loving owners

    Providence, RI | Built: 1853 | Redeveloped: 1984-1985 | Decade: 1850-1859
    Added to NRHP: September 1978 | NRHP Reference Number: 78000005 (contributing)

  • A 27,000 sf piece of the former US Rubber Works has been developed into the Waterfire Arts Center

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1929 | Redeveloped: 2016–2017 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: August 2005 | NRHP Reference Number: 05000917 (individual)

  • A former power substation along the train tracks has most recently been an after-hours nightclub but has now been vacant since 2018

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1914 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • A dense complex of 20 buildings built over the course of 50 years has ben converted from maufacturing to new-arts-industrial to residential

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1890, 1896 to 1929 | Redeveloped: 2006–2015 | Decade: 1890-1899
    Added to NRHP: August 2005 | NRHP Reference Number: 05000917 (individual)

  • The one that started a revolution. A 13 acre site, bounded by Atwells Ave, Eagle Street, and Valley Street, housing cheap artist studio space and the famous Fort Thunder arts collective.

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1866-1875 | Demolition: 2001-2002 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • An ornate mill-company-built community space subdivided into offices during the last century

    North End | Built: 1881–82 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: 1981 | NRHP Reference Number: 83003867 (contributing)

  • A recently underutilized mill building with distinctive central octoganol tower to become 225 apartments and commercial space

    North End | Built: 1862–1906 | Redeveloped: 2019-2020 | Decade: 1860-1869
    Added to NRHP: 1981 | NRHP Reference Number: 83003867 (contributing)

  • A large parcel of land on the edge of the jewelry district whose 1- and 2-story buildings were razed by speculation but nothing yet occupies the site.

    Jewelry District | Built: 1901–1956 | Demolition: 2012, 2021 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • A large complex of mill buildings spread out over three city blocks is only partially intact and undergoing revitalization in different forms

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1836–1937 | Demolition: partial circa 1992 | Decade: 1830-1839
    Added to NRHP: January 2008 | NRHP Reference Number: 07001381 (individual)

  • A circa 1900 collection of mill buildings are still in use as manufacturing, small business space, and studios even though the building itself needs maintenance

    Olneyville/Valley | Built: ca 1885, ca 1900, ca 1937 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: January 2008 | NRHP Reference Number: 07001381 (individual)

  • Vacant since 1987, this building stood on the West Side across from Central High School for over 20 years before being completely razed to the ground.

    West Side | Built: 1906 | Demolition: 2008 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: March 18, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 04000197