List: PPS’s Ten Most Endangered

19 properties

The Providence Preservation Society publishes a yearly list of the Ten Most Endangered Properties. These buildings have shown up on the list at one time, sometimes for several years in a row.

  • A lovely split-square dual residence at the beginning of Atwells Avenue, razed in 2014 for a speculative development that has not yet come to pass

    #UsedToBeThere | Federal Hill | Built: 1871 | Demolition: 2014 | Decade: 1870-1879

  • Two massive five-story, brick, pier-and-spandrel warehouses along the waterfront once used for storing cargo. Vacant for 15+ years before demolition from 2013-2015.

    #UsedToBeThere | South Providence | Built: 1913 | Demolition: 2013 | Decade: 1910-1919

  • A part of the Provisions District met the wrecking ball in 2011. Owner of this and nearby buildings, The Providence Journal Company, used deferred maintenance as an excuse.

    #UsedToBeThere | Smith Hill | Built: 1907 | Demolition: 2011 | Decade: 1900-1909

  • Closed in 1981, this William R. Walker and Son-designed church was vacant for over 20 years before neglect contributed to its demise.

    #UsedToBeThere | South Providence | Built: 1888 | Demolition: 2006 | Decade: 1880-1889
    Added to NRHP: June 30, 1976 | NRHP Reference Number: 76000043

  • An elaborate four and a half story Medieval Gothic armory has been plagued by underutilization for the past 20 years

    #UrbanDecay | West Side | Built: 1897–1907 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • A relatively simple carriage house down the hill from Benefit Street featuring unique architectural details and construction

    #NotInRuins | College Hill | Built: 1857 | Redeveloped: 2012-2013 | Decade: 1850-1859

  • A historic home that was not officially verified as “historic”, therefore it was unprotected from demolition by neglect

    #UsedToBeThere | Federal Hill | Built: circa 1860 | Demolition: 2014 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • Falling into disrepair since the 1970s, this once important community center found new use and continues to support the neighborhood and Providence schoolchildren

    #NotInRuins | Fox Point/India Point | Built: 1926 | Demolition: 1920-1929 | Redeveloped: 2007-2008 | Decade: 1920-1929

  • A long fight over the demolition of a former neighborhood school — and a contributing structure to the Broadway-Armory Historic District.

    #UsedToBeThere | West Side | Built: 1901 | Demolition: 2012 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: May 1, 1974 | NRHP Reference Number: 74000047 (contributing)

  • Vacant since 1987, this building stood on the West Side across from Central High School for over 20 years before being completely razed to the ground.

    #UsedToBeThere | West Side | Built: 1906 | Demolition: 2008 | Decade: 1900-1909
    Added to NRHP: March 18, 2004 | NRHP Reference Number: 04000197

  • Parcel 14: This Neo—Classical Revival structure stood unfinished for 80 years before finally getting a new life as a hotel in 2004.

    #NotInRuins | Smith Hill | Built: 1926 | Redeveloped: 2004 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: October 5, 1993 | NRHP Reference Number: 93001181

  • This ornate former single-family home was built in stages and owned by two prominent business people that almost succumbed to the wrecking ball

    #NotInRuins | Smith Hill | Built: 1856, 1864, 1877 | Redeveloped: 1920, 1990, 2003 | Decade: 1850-1859
    Added to NRHP: November 1993 | NRHP Reference Number: 93001183 (contributing)

  • A fire on Christmas morning gutted the building, but the Masonic Lodge members plan to rebuild, and you can help.

    #UrbanDecay | South Providence | Built: circa 1890 | Decade: 1890–1899

  • A long, low slung industrial building west of the highway and in the shadow of the Providence Place Mall. Neglect over ten years as well as some nefarious local dealings took the building down.

    #UsedToBeThere | Smith Hill | Built: 1929 | Demolition: 2008 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: June 10, 2005 | NRHP Reference Number: 05000583

  • A 60-year history slinging good, hearty diner food evaporated into a cyclone of legal battles. The diner itself is still unrestored.

    #NotInRuins | Smith Hill | Built: 1937 | Redeveloped: 2016 | Decade: 1930-1939

  • A massive 58,000 sf former electricity generating station went through three different redevelopment projects over 20 years before finally being completed

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: 1912–1925 | Redeveloped: 2003, 2008, 2015–2019 | Decade: 1910-1919
    Added to NRHP: June 30, 2006 | NRHP Reference Number: 06000553 (individual)

  • A narrow and difficult to redevelop building languished on the Ten Most Endangered List for five years before getting a new life

    #NotInRuins | Downtown, Providence | Built: 1859–1860 | Redeveloped: 2012–2014 | Decade: 1860-1869
    Added to NRHP: February 10, 1984 | NRHP Reference Number: 84001967 (contributing)

  • The one that started a revolution. A 13 acre site, bounded by Atwells Ave, Eagle Street, and Valley Street, housing cheap artist studio space and the famous Fort Thunder arts collective.

    #UsedToBeThere | Olneyville/Valley | Built: 1866-1875 | Demolition: 2001-2002 | Decade: 1860-1869

  • A large parcel of land on the edge of the jewelry district whose 1- and 2-story buildings were razed by speculation but nothing yet occupies the site.

    #UsedToBeThere | Jewelry District | Built: 1901–1956 | Demolition: 2012, 2021 | Decade: 1900-1909