List: Providence Jewelry Manufacturing Historic District

5 properties

Nominated as a historic district in 1985 when industry had been leaving the area and new uses were being considered. While many of the buildings have been rehabilitated for residential, commercial, or educational use, the future of the district was very much uncertain when it was being researched and documented. Full document from the RIHPHC (pdf)

  • Once the largest manufacturer of costume jewelry, this building was vacant in the 80s but then revived by Lifespan as their corporate headquarters

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: 1929, 1947 | Redeveloped: circa 1990 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • This handsome trapezoidal mill building with chamfered corner in the Jewelry District was converted to lofts in 2004.

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: circa 1922-23 | Redeveloped: 2004 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • This former jewelry manufacturing building was converted to office use in the late 1970s and is now the Brown Medical School

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: 1928 | Redeveloped: 2010–2011 | Decade: 1920-1929
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • A stone mill formerly used as a machine parts manufacturer and now commercial office space

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: 1848, 1863, 1907 | Decade: 1840-1849
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)

  • A collection of handsome late-19th- and early-20th-century buildings that served as headquarters for a knitted good company as well as rental space for jewelry businesses

    #NotInRuins | Jewelry District | Built: 1893, 1903 | Redeveloped: 1990s | Decade: 1890-1899
    Added to NRHP: December 1985 | NRHP Reference Number: 85003088 (contributing)