Images of this Property
6 images: Press to view larger or scroll sideways to see more. Contribution by Historic MapWorks
About this Property
The Groden Center, a specialty learning center, was a tenant of this building until 2004, when they purchased and moved into the Dyerville Mill. The property was on the market for a time and was home to Bond Brothers (construction) and was an Exit Realty office. It was leasable again after that.
The building is the current home of Nicki’s Liquors, a craft beer and wine store. They have been at this location since 2015.
A Sanborn Insurance Map from 1889 show the “Frank F. Carpenter Lumber Yard” in this location. In a 1899 Sanborn Map, another lumber yard is in this location, named “George D. Lansing & Son.” A 1921 Sanborn Map does not show these buildings in place yet — it still shows Lansing lumber yards.
A G.M. Hopkins Insurance map from 1937 shows this building in place and labelled as “Washington Laundry.” Next to this, sharing a party wall, in the yellow brick building now known as National Furniture, is labelled “Autocar & Studebaker Trucks.”
An updated 1920-1921 Sanborn map in 1951 shows a laundry here still with an unnamed car garage to the north. The 1956 update of the same map is unchanged.
No official history so far.
The adjoining yellow brick building at 36 Branch Avenue was built in the 1930s. We assume this building is earlier, but we are not sure how much earlier. Aerial photos seem to show it in place in 1939, but it is hard to tell as there is a seam between two photos at this location.
The construction is very nice, and typical of brick buildings of the time. While the façade is asymmetric, it feels very balanced from right to left. A two-story facade with offset main entrance and pillars with windows that go from the ceiling to the floor on the first floor. Thin concrete lintels frame the windows and other simple concrete and brick details adorn the roofline in an art deco style. This style was popular in the 1920s and 30s which gives us reason to believe the 1930s as a build date is appropriate.