Images of this Property
About this Property
Architecturally, the building is a great example of turn-of-the-century design, with a large tower on the south east corner featuring ornate brickwork. Most windows have arched gables and granite lintels and have been replaced and filled in with glass block. To allow fresh air, at some tenants request, some glass block arrays have had vinyl windows installed. The building was home to a few large companies and businesses at one time, and slowly has been split up into smaller spaces. A lot of odd things have been installed and then removed and then redone in these flexible spaces.
The spaces are now primarily inhabited by artists, musicians, and small manufacturing, craft, or service businesses. The spaces are nice, with a lot of light, hardwoods floors, and decent general upkeep. According to some of the photos, you can see that there is still untouched sections, but that is what makes it so interesting. The building has a lot of quirks, and feels industrial, which makes it more appealing than a cleaned up and sterile space.
The property is owned by a group of small real estate companies that also lease space at 545 Pawtucket Avenue, not too far away.
Designed by Howe, Prout, & Ekman (known for designing the 1950s addition to the Providence Public Library), this mill was once the largest lace producer in the country. A three-story brick pier building with 4th story penthouse featuring a 5-story elaborately detailed hip roof tower. The tower is a fine period example and can be seen from the surrounding neighborhood, including traffic on Interstate 95. A later addition of a sawtooth weave shed was added around 1920 on the north side.
From “Pawtucket Past and Present, being a brief account of the beginning and progress of its industries and a resume of the early history of the city,” by the Slater Trust Company, 1917
The largest lace-making plant in the United States is the American Textile Company. Cotton and silk trimming-laces are manufactured here. The company was incorporated in 1899. There are 66 lace-machines at the plant, and about five hundred employees work there. The officers are: Lyman B. Goff, president; Morris F. Conant, secretary and treasurer.
Lyman B. Goff, born 1841, was son of Darius Goff who helped start the Pawtucket Steam Wadding Mill which later became Union Wadding. After the passing of their father in 1891, Lyman and brother Darius ran Union Wadding and saw an expansion of the plant through the 1930s. We imagine that Morris F. Conant was part of the Conant family related to the Conant Thread complex in Pawtucket, but we have not been able to find the connection yet.