Frances M. Andrews Houses

also known as Miriam Hospital, Park View Nursing Home, Park View Apartments

A rare apartment row house with interconnected interior spaces and original details gets a facelift and modern new addition

About this Property

#Redevelopment

The Park View Nursing Home (which had some pretty terrible Google reviews) closed in late 2019. In February 2020, the R.I. Commerce Corporation authorized a $1 million incentive for a private $5 million investment into the conversion of this former nursing home into market-rate apartments.1

But before the building was a nursing home, it was apartments. And before that, it was the first incarnation of the Miriam Hospital. And before that, apartments again. The multiple conversions over the years is one of the reasons why the renovations this time around were so difficult, according to a representative of the Armory Revival Company.

The renovation of the main building included the demolition of a one-story addition off the southern side but a new full-height addition off the western side that will add three more apartments for a total of 12 in the building. New stairs and a common entrance are also contained in the new addition.

As seen in some of the photos we took, care was taken to save any decorative plaster elements that were in good condition. Pocket doors were removed for storage and will be returned. A stunning fourth floor unit features a giant window with skylight along with a five-sided four window corner bay.

More renderings are available from Jack Ryan’s website

#Current Events

The building is slated to be finished before the end of 2022. Leasing information can be acquired through the Armory Revival Company and the Armory Management Company.

#History

An 1889 Sanborn Insurance Map, Volume 1, Plate 22 shows this building without the addition on the southern side. The addition added another row to the house, essentially, and included the five-side turret. We believe it was added around 1900.

By a 1920-1921 map, Volume 1, Plate 63, it is labelled the “Walleford Apartments” and includes the addition to the south. The north side is labelled “Maternity Hospital (Private).” We believe the hospital started off in one of the apartments and then grew to take over the entire building by 1925, when the changes to the entrances were made.


From the “Broadway-Armory Historic District” National Register nomination form, 1974

Frances M. Andrews Houses, later Miriam Hospital (1878, 1925): 3-story; flat; brick row of four attached townhouses; set on raised basement with label molds, full-height bay windows, and coved cornices. Remodeled with entrances removal and fenestration changes ca 1925. Modern 1-story fieldstone and brick addition to side. Unlike most row houses in Providence, these remained an investment property in the ownership of one individual.

In 1925, the row became Miriam Hospital and was considerably remodeled. In the 1950s, Miriam moved to its present site on Summit Avenue, and the former hospital was converted first into Park View Apartments and more recently into the Park View Nursing Home. Andrews was a produce dealer, and his row houses for upper-income tenants is one of the few rows of townhouses in the city.

#In the News

The West Broadway Neighborhood Association has a page on their site describing the meeting in June of 2018 where they heard of plans to convert this building:

Local developers and neighbors Mark Van Noppen and Seth Zeren along with architect Jack Ryan presented preliminary plans for the Parkview properties that border Dexter Training Ground at 41 & 45 Parade Street, 19R Willow and 12 Oak.      The plans include the redevelopment of the existing four-story historic structure into 12 residential apartments with a rear addition, and the construction of a new four story building next to the nursing home that would contain 19 apartments. Two non-contributing buildings would be demolished on the site, as well. […]      Most neighbors have not had the opportunity to see inside Parkview. Before becoming Miriam Hospital in 1920, this turn of the century building was comprised of stately row homes. Van Noppen described the interior today as having original 11 foot ceilings and grand rooms, some of which still have their plaster cornices, fireplaces and mantles.      The developers would seek federal historic tax credits to renovate the building and restore many of the historic details, though modern building codes, they said, would prohibit reconstruction of the grand stairs and entrances that once fronted these homes.

  1. Anderson, Patrick. “State OKs $3M for apartment project near Pawtucket train station.” Providence Journal: Web Edition Articles (RI), sec. News, 26 Feb. 2020. NewsBank: America’s News, infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=NewsBank&docref=news/17965CFD2B2574B8. Accessed 3 Apr. 2022.